Monday, February 2, 2009

Go MOJO China! (Mobile Journalism)

At some point last week I was sitting in the Student Government office wasting time before I had to head off to class when Miss K. Maund burst through the door with news of a summer trip to China with Professor Rob Williams. I immediately perked up because Rob happens to be one of the most inspirational professors I have ever taken a class (or two) from in my time at Champlain College, and I also have a SERIOUS travel bug and dire need to see the world.

I sent some emails around and finally came up with some information about the trip. It will be a two week tour of western China (where the indigenous people are rarely visited by the Western World). When we arrive in Shanghai we will stay overnight to absorb the impact that globalization and modernization have had on China before heading off to Xi’an for two days. Later we will travel even further west and stay in more indigenous villages exploring the lifestyle and culture of the people who live there. We will visit various Tibetan monestaries and interact with university students who struggle with the ideas of modern globalization and the ways in which it interacts with their northwestern Chinese lifestyle.

I am extremely excited about the prospect of this trip! However, my current challenge is fundraising so that I can actually afford to go! "Tuition" and traveling costs will come to approximately $3,000 so I'm looking for any type of donation. Every dollar counts towards this amazingly life-changing cultural and educational experience.

So how can you help? The easiest way is by registering with our website: http://www.dragonstudentexchange.org/

On the top right-hand side of the page you will see the link to sign up. You will not have any obligations after signing up, but I receive $5 off my trip for every referral I get.

I will soon be setting up a separate site for larger donations if you feel so inclined. I will post information about it here, but I definitely have my work cut out for me during the process. Please let me know in the meantime if you are interested, or at least register with the website! As we learned from Obama's campaign every little bit you can contribute counts. If I get 10 people to give me even $10 then I've knocked $100 off of my deposit!

Stay tuned for more information and feel free to ask any questions you may have! I have not been this excited about a global adventure in a while! Cheers!

0 comments: