Friday, March 13, 2009

Please SUMMER don't be late!

Here it is! Spring time! I heard birds chirping outside my window this morning for the first time in 2009 and it pushed a big smile across my lips. It seems like just yesterday I was arriving in Alaska from my fall semester in Dublin and gazing out the airplane window at my first glimpse of snow for the winter.



I am certainly not complaining that winter is over even though the season was short for me this year. The sooner warm weather is upon us the better!

I love spring. I love seeing buds appear on the trees around Burlington that will slowly bloom into pink and white and purple flowers. I love the scent they toss into the soft wind that blows up the hill from the still semi-frozen lake. I love how the sun stays up just long enough that I can still enjoy the sunset when I am released from my night classes. I love how students around campus seem to smile more frequently. I get excited that I can finally tuck my boots and gloves away into my closet and pull out flip flops and bright green nail polish.

But I think what I love most is the promise of summer: Long days on my friend’s porches in a pair of overly large sunglasses with a beer in hand and making plans to go the beach or float down the river or take a boat out on the lake the next day; Driving around with no aim, windows down, radio cranked and singing at the top of our lungs as our hair relentlessly tugs away from our ponytails with the wind. There is just something in the summer air that makes me feel like I don’t have a care in the world. Maybe it’s the warmth in my skin from days spent under the sun. Maybe it’s because I don’t have to juggle school and clubs in the mix with my job. I can never seem to place my finger exactly on it, but I know that I am in love with the summer months and with spring upon us I know that summer is just around the corner. My heart already feels lighter and I cannot wait until it arrives!

0 comments: