Tuesday, March 31, 2009

T-56 Days!

Until the big move! I have recently decided that I need some big changes in my life. Maybe it was the whole growing up in 9 states thing that instilled this need to constantly pick up and move all the time. Or maybe I just get bored easily. Either way, things haven't been going my way lately and I decided it was time.

I am signing a new lease for a one bedroom apartment in Barre, VT on Thursday morning and moving into it during the last week of May! I am beyond excited to get away from the college bustle of downtown Burlington. It's not that I didn't love this city while I spent time here because I did. It's just that I'm tired of listening to belligerent drunks scream down my street every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday night. I'm tired of looking out the one window in my bedroom to see another house sitting so close I could lean out and poke it with a yard stick. I'm tired of ignorant upstairs neighbors who think it's perfectly acceptable to blast their bass at 10:30 in the morning, or 11:00 at night during the week. I'm just done here. It's time to move on.

The hard part is facing the failing economy as an unemployed college student. It's not that I don't want to work. And it's not that I haven't been trying either. But when you put all the recent college grads still looking for work, plus all of the students about to graduate, plus students like me who are taking a little longer to graduate, and add to all of us the qualified workers who have been out in the force for at least 10 years ALSO looking for jobs... things start to look a little dreary for me.

But I'm trying.

I'll be leaving Champlain College in the fall and begin taking online courses through the Community College of Vermont. It's not a plan I would have ever forseen four years ago, but it's the reality. After 8 semesters of college I am DONE sitting in classrooms. Online courses for less cost are mighty appealing, and even more so since I'll be able to transfer my credits over to Champlain and still graduate with a bachelor's degree in Paralegal Studies in the spring of 2010.

For now, as hard as things may be, I've got to set my sights on the rest of this semester and finish April strong. I've got a family vacation to Hawaii, a celebratory trip to Alaska, and a new chapter of life to look forward to when this is over!

0 comments: