Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Cape Cod

Last week Derek and I packed up the car (a whole one bag each) again and took off for his cousin’s wedding in Cape Cod, Massachusetts. The morning was fairly uneventful, but the weather was cooperative. I didn’t start to get really excited until we approached Boston. Something about the city ignites adrenaline in me and I almost begged to skip the tunnel underneath Boston and head in for lunch!





We didn’t arrive in Chatham until nearly dinnertime so we checked into our hotel and drove around the little town before meeting up with his family for a BBQ in Eastham. We took a short walk on the beach and saw the Chatham Lighthouse, which I have to say was a little disappointing in size.



Next door to the hotel we barbequed at was a miniature golf place so Derek and I decided to have a go. I forgot my camera in the car so there aren’t pictures but I obviously dominated ;) (Just don’t ask him for his opinion on the score!)

The wedding was the following afternoon so we had plenty of time in the morning to wander the town more thoroughly. We went for lunch at the Chatham Squire and were quite excited about our stuffed clam appetizer and assorted seafood platter consisting of fried clams, calamari, shrimp and scallops. After lunch we walked through town looking for a belt for Derek’s suit since we packed in a hurry and he left his in Vermont.

The ceremony was held at the Chatham Bars Inn, right on the beach. It was absolutely stunning even though it rained on us a little bit. I wish it had been sunny for the sake of pictures, but it certainly didn’t ruin the wedding!







Following the wedding ceremony we all stepped inside the boathouse for a reception complete with champagne, snacks and dancing.







We woke up the next morning to beautiful sunshine but had to check out of the hotel by 10am. Instead of hopping in the car and driving home we decided to enjoy the Cape a little longer and drove to meet Derek’s sister for breakfast in Hyannis. We sat outside at The Egg and I, and before breakfast was over my skin was completely crispy. Such is the product of seeing no sunshine since May (it’s been a rainy summer in Vermont!)

While we ate breakfast the funeral procession for Eunice Kennedy Shriver passed by. No pictures of course, I didn’t want to be disrespectful… although I did get waved at by Ted Kennedy from the back seat of a limousine!

To conclude our time on the Cape we went for a walk down to the harbor.









The trip was a much needed relaxing getaway, but there’s something so refreshing about the mountains in Vermont. It’s good to be home.

0 comments: